Supporter Section

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Supporter Section

A messageboard to discuss & debate the beautiful game and much, much more.

4 posters

Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread

Stevie
    Stevie
    Chief Executive

Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread Empty Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread

Post by Stevie Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 am

Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread FAIreland_logo
    Stevie
    Stevie
    Chief Executive

Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread Empty Re: Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread

Post by Stevie Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 am

Current Squad

GK Colin Doyle - Birmingham City
    GK Shay Given - Manchester City
    GK Wayne Henderson - Preston North End
    DF Richard Dunne - Manchester City
    DF Kevin Foley - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    DF Stephen Kelly - Fulham
    DF Kevin Kilbane - Hull City
    DF Paul McShane - Sunderland
    DF Eddie Nolan - Preston North End
    DF John O'Shea - Manchester United
    DF Sean St Ledger - Preston North End
    MF Keith Andrews - Blackburn Rovers
    MF Damien Duff - Newcastle United
    MF Darron Gibson - Manchester United
    MF Stephen Hunt - Reading
    MF Andy Keogh - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    MF Aiden McGeady - Celtic
    MF Liam Miller - Queens Park Rangers
    MF Glenn Whelan - Stoke City
    MF Liam Lawrence - Stoke City
    FW Leon Best - Coventry City
    FW Caleb Folan - Hull City
    FW Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
    FW Shane Long - Reading
    FW Kevin Doyle - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    M1ZZ0U
    M1ZZ0U
    Club Owner
    Club Owner

Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread Empty Re: Official Republic of Ireland National Team Thread

Post by M1ZZ0U Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:59 am

Something I've always wondered when I set up International tournaments on FIFA. Can you explain to me why there is a Northern Ireland and a Ireland of Republic National team, seperately?
    Tio Nicci
    Tio Nicci
    Reserve
    Reserve

Post by Tio Nicci Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 pm

Ireland, is a good team, I remember we played a friendly with them and Robbie Keane scored on our mistake at Craven Cottage last year.
    Stevie
    Stevie
    Chief Executive

Post by Stevie Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 am

M1ZZ0U wrote:Something I've always wondered when I set up International tournaments on FIFA. Can you explain to me why there is a Northern Ireland and a Ireland of Republic National team, seperately?

That's a VERY long story, so in short...

"Northern" Ireland is "ruled" by the british government and is a part of the UK. The Republic is a free state, with their own President and is not a part of the UK. Because of this, Ireland doesn't have one NT. Ireland isn't a united country. The majority IMO would prefer a united Ireland but it's not likely in the near future. Getting a bit more political now and politics isn't my thing so...
    SubaruAdrian
    SubaruAdrian
    Reserve
    Reserve

Post by SubaruAdrian Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:35 pm

I like that you listed out the club each player is with. Gives it some perspective. Who would you say their biggest rival is?
    Tio Nicci
    Tio Nicci
    Reserve
    Reserve

Post by Tio Nicci Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Stevie wrote:
    M1ZZ0U wrote:Something I've always wondered when I set up International tournaments on FIFA. Can you explain to me why there is a Northern Ireland and a Ireland of Republic National team, seperately?

That's a VERY long story, so in short...

"Northern" Ireland is "ruled" by the british government and is a part of the UK. The Republic is a free state, with their own President and is not a part of the UK. Because of this, Ireland doesn't have one NT. Ireland isn't a united country. The majority IMO would prefer a united Ireland but it's not likely in the near future. Getting a bit more political now and politics isn't my thing so...

Really the majority?, I always thought N.Ireland and Ireland Republic hated each other.
    Stevie
    Stevie
    Chief Executive

Post by Stevie Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Well because the Republic is vastly bigger than the North state, and the majority of those if not all those living in the Republic would welcome a united Ireland.

Added with the massive number of people in the North who want the same, most of those being from the Irish Nationalist communities, that would be the majority of the population of Ireland, as a whole.

Easier said than done though.
    Tio Nicci
    Tio Nicci
    Reserve
    Reserve

Post by Tio Nicci Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Stevie wrote:Well because the Republic is vastly bigger than the North state, and the majority of those if not all those living in the Republic would welcome a united Ireland.

Added with the massive number of people in the North who want the same, most of those being from the Irish Nationalist communities, that would be the majority of the population of Ireland, as a whole.

Easier said than done though.

ahh I see, I kinda wish you guys did unite.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:29 pm